12 things you can still do before the year wraps up
It’s the same time of the year when we start looking back at the time with mixed feelings – heartbreaks, same failed promises, sweet high notes and new resolutions for a fresh start.
Borrowing something from Scrum – it’s a perfect time to do a retrospective even though we never treated or planned our year as a “Dangal-Sprint” or “I-love-you-Zindagi-Sprint” or “Zindagi-Na-Milegi-Dobara-Sprint”.
Would our lives be better if we treated life as a series of experiments? Would we be more contended? Or, would we die of depression from the retrospectives of these failed experiments? 🙂
Don’t know about you, but I would surely be depressed as I’ve not even lost 100 grams since I started my weight loss program some time ago.Ahem, 11 years, 6 months, 2 weeks and 3 days to be precise.
Do you know this introspection of failing yet again on our promises and getting better the next year comes naturally to us as our genes have been training for them since the last 4000 years? Yeah, you heard me right. 4000 years! Ancient Babylonians started this ritual and we have been just carrying it year over year.
I feel making resolutions on the spur of a moment is a sure-shot way to backfire them. But I am not gonna talk about what you should do. (or not do!) I just feel that any day is a good day if you want to kickstart something that you truly desire.
But here are few things which you can still do before the year calls an end-
- If you want to set resolutions, here is some tiny powerful scientific advice on how you can keep most of the common resolutions.
- And then to achieve them, fall in love with the process, not the outcome. Here is some powerful advice.
- Still not convinced, this might help you change your mind about following a process-oriented approach. Or, like Lord Krishna said – “Karmanye vadhikaraste Ma Phaleshu Kadachana”
- If you still struggle tackling with your ‘to-do list’, go analog and buy yourself a Bullet Journal before this year ends. No Evernote, no iPhone Notes. Get it now. Start writing stuff, physically. Get a taste of its basics from this video. You would fall in love with it. Guaranteed!
- Learn about blockchain and bitcoin before your girlfriend dumps you. Seriously. No kidding. Here’s proof-
- If “changing the world” was a plan this year and if you failed miserably, go read Originals. It’s one of the best books that I read this year. 2018 will be glorious if you finish it by new year’s eve.
- Do you know how many books you can read at a modest pace of 10 pages a day (15 minutes)? Now, what if you were just reading twenty-five pages a day. Do the math and start reading.
- Despite your age, go watch Coco with your family/friends/foes.
- Take a 30-day challenge but turn it into a 3-weeks challenge. It could be anything- 3 weeks of writing, 3 weeks of designing, 3 weeks of reading daily. Practically anything. Just to overcome your inertia. Anything that you’ve wanted to do but haven’t done.
- Write a letter or send a video to a friend whom you haven’t talked to in a while. Do you know expressing gratitude and love makes you happy? I didn’t know either, watch this video. And, on that note, I love you! There, I feel happy now.
- Be a work in progress every single day. Wanna hear a perfect song about it. Make Des’ree song “You Gotta Be” your anthem for the next few days.
- Go off the radar for a while. Leave every connection with social media for a day and go for a walk. Or a short Stroll. Anything. Just glide in the free air or ride a bike away from the daily madness. GET OUT NOW!
Hey, before you go, forward this newsletter to a friend, will ya? Please!
A big hug,
If you like this newsletter, forward it to a friend. Or, if you’re seeing this newsletter for the first time, you can subscribe here. You can also look at our archives section for previous newsletters.